How Do I Know If I Need a Family Psychologist?
Most people, at some point in their lives, hit bumps in the road that jar them down to the bone. These aren’t necessarily physical trauma, but emotional hits. Early intervention is your best hope of getting on top of your issues before they lead to more serious consequences. Untreated emotional and mental trauma may even require medical treatment eventually.
Talking to a psychologist in Queens at the Medex Diagnostic and Treatment Center is the best first step you can take to get your mental and emotional health under control. Some early signs that indicate you may benefit from psychological treatment include:
- You just don’t feel like yourself. You can’t quite figure it out, but you just don’t feel right, and the feeling has persisted for days or weeks. Talking with a therapist uncovers deeply rooted beliefs and negative thoughts that may be holding you back.
- You aren’t doing the things you love. If you used to do certain things on a regular basis, but you’ve stopped doing them, you should check in with a doctor.
- Your appetite has changed. If you’re eating like crazy, even when you’re not hungry, or you say you never feel hungry, something is definitely wrong.
- Your sleeping patterns are different. If you find that it’s consistently hard to get out of bed, that you’re falling into bed as soon as you get home, or you have insomnia, you should talk to a professional about it.
- Your body aches. Many people don’t realize how much of your depression or anxiety can show up in your body. Increased headaches, a sore jaw from clenching, a dramatic increase in acid reflux — these things can be physical indicators that a trained specialist often recognizes as symptoms of mental health struggles.
- You’re isolating yourself. If you notice you’re actively choosing to spend a lot of your waking hours alone, talk to a mental health professional about the changes in your social life.
- You’ve started to think about harming yourself or harming others. This is a serious development, and you need to seek help immediately.
How Can a Medex Psychologist Help My Family?
The team of specialists at the Medex Diagnostics and Treatment Center in Queens provide services to your entire family. The services include:
- A pediatric psychologist is available to work with your teens and older children.
- Experts in geriatrics help seniors experiencing signs of dementia.
- A social worker trained in psychology deals with a host of family issues and dynamics. You can resolve ongoing problems.
- You may be referred to an on-staff psychiatrist for possible medical solutions. Psychiatrists evaluate you before suggesting that there may be medications to relieve your symptoms. Talk therapy always comes first.
- A neurologist may need to run tests to see if there’s anything physical in the brain or nervous system that’s related to what you’re experiencing. A neurologist evaluates your brain and nervous system if you’re referred to one from your psychologist.
While a psychologist is trained to test for conditions like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or autism, sometimes their greatest skill lies in talk therapy. They’ll just talk to you for the first few sessions. It helps them figure out exactly what’s going on with you. It may be that you or your family member is experiencing a temporary mental health problem that’s easily solved with therapy.
What Conditions Does a Psychologist Treat?
Psychology is a field of medicine designed to understand the relationship between your behavior, your choices and your thoughts. More deeply, it studies why you make certain choices and how other people can impact your behavior. At the Medex Diagnostic and Treatment Center, you’ll find compassionate and expert services to address a wide range of conditions, including:
- Bipolar disorder disease
- Borderline personality
- Substance abuse
- Panic disorder
This is not a complete list, but it includes the most common mental health issues you or your family could be facing. Psychological help can come in the form of a social worker, child psychologist, family psychologist or a psychotherapist. Your healthcare team at Medex provides you with several specialists all in one location. Contact the team at Medex today to nip those negative feelings in the bud and get back on the road to a fulfilling, physically and mentally healthy life.